Breathing re-training is a specialised physiotherapy technique used for treating 'dysfunctional breathing'.
Dysfunctional breathing is a phenomenon where the bodies breathing becomes "out of sync" with the body. This causes symptoms such as:
- unable able to get a deep breathe
- not able to get a satisfying breathe
- breathless at rest
- inability to unwind
What causes 'dysfunctional breathing'?
There are an endless number of things that can set breathing patterns into a spiral of dysfunction. The most common causes we see include:
- Periods of increased stress
- Post Pulmonary Embolism
What does breathing re-training involve?
Our physiotherapists have international experience in breathing re-training.
Breathing re-training involves 3 main steps
- resetting the bodies neurological clock
- developing optimal and adaptable breathing patterns
- strengthening optimal breathing patterns